Saturday, May 24, 2008

Just a small project...


When we bought our house last year it was fall, we thoroughly toured and inspected the indoors. The yard and backyard, we gave a quick glance and figured, "Sure, we can work with it." Now, we laugh knowing just how much we need to work with it.

There was a pool in the backyard that needed lots of work and a deck that was beginning to rot around it. (Plus, I'd rather go to the pool at my mom's house...) So, last fall we sold the pool and enjoyed a small crater in our backyard for the winter. This spring, Tim's been working hard at getting all the wood and debris out, and today my brother came over with a Bobcat and moved lots of dirt around. Caleb, as you can imagine, loved having "Daves" and his tractor over. We still have lots of work to do, but it's a relief to have that hole gone and to be on our way. Tim has drawn up a plan for a brick patio, so work on that will begin soon (and likely take most of the summer) -- after Dave comes back with more dirt and equipment next weekend. But, here's a couple photos of Caleb enjoying fixing up what he looks out the window and calls "DaDa's mess."

Also, I ran the Young Life 5K in Hudsonville this morning with some ladies from my small group at church. It was a beautiful, sunny morning and nice to run with friends -- usually it's just me and my iPod on Saturdays (which is okay, too). I finished in 28:25, which is my best time ever. I never would have imagined saying that I actually enjoy running, but I really do. I think all the competitive aspects that scared me when I was younger (do I look stupid? Am I too slow?) are gone. It's nice just to compete against yourself. I run now because I can, not because I have to. And that makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment