I spent much of our recent vacation to Myrtle Beach walking slowly, hand-in-hand with my almost two year-old, Josh -- trudging behind as he walked up steps ("I do!"), dawdling as he stopped to admire shells, and lagging behind as he ran zigzags chasing birds down the beach.
Josh lives in a two-step world, never aware or worrying about what lies beyond his immediate future, his limited vision.
As I waited -- honestly, not always so patiently -- I kept reminding myself of what we, as a adults, can learn from a toddler. We spend much of our lives worrying about tomorrow, next week, next month. We wait for the weekend, missing the moments in front of us. We anticipate stress, worry about what-ifs.
We would all benefit from walking like Josh -- focusing on this moment, trusting God completely for what the next step holds, trusting that God's hands will be there to steady us, to hold us if needed. And trusting, that like a parent -- like my husband and I do with our own sons -- he'll scoop us up and carry us when the path becomes more than we can handle or we're too tired to make it on our own.
very true
ReplyDeleteLove the insite! We do spend too much time worrying about the future, sometimes those babes are so smart and have it so right. It's a shame they have to grow up!
ReplyDelete